Monday, February 20, 2012

Cowbird: A New Social Network

I was recently reading the New York Times and I came across an article for a new social networking site called "Cowbird ."  Immediately I was somewhat interested, but at the same time I didn't get the feeling that I had just discovered the new Facebook.  However, I read on and to my surprise I actually found the concept somewhat interesting.

Most social networking today is based on quick blurbs that get straight to the fact, they remove the substance that usually surrounded our stories in the past.  The concept of this new social networking site was to bring that substance back.  Cowbird allows users to tell their story using pictures, words, and sounds.  Unlike popular sites like Tumblr, Cowbird does not allow users to just bring together content from others' pages and share it, instead it forces people to create and tell their own story.  The site truly wants its' users to be able to fully express themselves and take time to develop their thoughts instead of just nonsense, short blurbs.

The site already has accumulated over 7,000 users, which seems like nothing in the world we're living in.  But, it is still in its test phase so you must request an invite.  I am interested to see how this site develops and if it will catch on to the masses.  Currently it is used by the likes of photographers and artists, but I believe it could become mainstream.  I wonder if Cowbird will be able to slow down this fast paced world, and get people to embrace a longer form of social networking.

No comments:

Post a Comment